At its meeting held on Wednesday 14 June Baw Baw Shire Council passed a
number of changes to Local Laws, including those controlling camping in
Walhalla and other Council or private land.
4.7 Camping and Caravans
(1) A person must not, without a permit, camp on Council Land, a public
place, road reserve, or on any road in a tent, caravan, camper van,
motor vehicle or other temporary or makeshift structure unless they are
within a caravan park licensed under the Residential Tenancies Act 1997.
(2) Notwithstanding sub-clause (1), Council may prescribe an area or
location as an area where a caravan or camper van can park overnight for
a maximum period of 72 hours.
(3) A person must not, without a permit, camp in a tent, caravan, camper
van, motor vehicle or other temporary or makeshift structure within
1.2km of the Old Walhalla Post Office Museum, Walhalla, unless they are
in a designated camping area, or permitted under the Planning Scheme.
(4) An owner or occupier of any land must not allow camping or a caravan
to be occupied on that land in excess of 28 days within a 12 month
period unless a permit has been obtained or camping is permitted under
the Planning Scheme.
(5) A person must not, without a permit, keep or store more than one
caravan on any land in a Residential Area unless permitted to do so
under the Planning Scheme.